The Other Side of the Trip: No Flares, Just Fatigue

The Other Side of the Trip: No Flares, Just Fatigue

I survived my trip! Remember last week how I was worried I would get sick on my quick trip to Florida? Well, I didn’t! I was armed with many bottles of emergency meds – prednisone, Percocet, and Zofran. Only twice did I need Zofran — the day after my only day in Disney World.

I felt it all that next day. My friend and I had slept over in a hotel near the theme park, and I woke up feeling pretty miserable. I was stiff, sore and exhausted in every fiber of my body. All I wanted to do was sleep, but of course, that wasn’t possible. I dragged through the day, barely being able to concentrate on anything, not really able to enjoy anything. I couldn’t wait to get home and rest. My flight was to take off later that day.

Unfortunately, due to weather conditions, my flight was three-and-a-half hours delayed. I was stuck in the airport for six hours, and I could feel myself growing more and more uncomfortable. I had been able to enjoy lunch, but it was pretty much downhill from there. At the airport, I knew I should eat something because I would be hungry on the flight otherwise, but none of the airport foods appealed to me. In fact, I felt quite sick with the idea that I might need to pick one of the options. Finally, in one food court, I was able to find a small cup of chicken noodle soup. Perfect, I thought. (I don’t know about you, but I tend to eat a lot of soup with this disease.)

I finally got home close to 1 a.m. and went right to bed. The next morning, I thought I felt fine so I went for a walk with a friend, and then had lunch with another. However, I was unable to eat much of anything. By the time I arrived back at my house at 2:30, it was all I could do to pull on my pajamas and go to bed. I slept for two hours and didn’t feel any better when I woke up.

The next day was the same. I was unable to do anything, and felt as if I was coming off a bad flu. I was exhausted, not interested in doing anything, or interested in eating. By the end of that day, I was beginning to wonder if this was really just exhaustion from the trip, or another take on my typical flare-up. Even with 11 hours of sleep the night before, I still needed a two-hour nap.

The following day I started finally started to feel more myself. I was still tired, but much more interested in life and was able to work – something I hadn’t been able to do for three days. I could feel the past few days disappearing. Whew! It wasn’t a flare-up. It was just me pushing my body too far.


Note: IBD News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of IBD News Today, or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to IBD.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Verify you are not a robot