Cannabinoid Combo Therapy Ended Teen’s Bowel Disease Symptoms, Study Reports

Cannabinoid Combo Therapy Ended Teen’s Bowel Disease Symptoms, Study Reports

A 13-year-old boy whose Crohn’s disease and colitis had failed to respond to standard treatments became symptom-free with a combo therapy that included cannabinoids, the cannabinoid therapy maker Vitality Biopharma reported.

The study is one of the first to show that cannabinoids can eliminate inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) symptoms in a child or young adult resistant to other therapies, the company said. The research, “Induction of Remission in Drug-Resistant Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease with Cannabinoid Therapy,” has yet to be published in a medical journal.

The boy received medical cannabis under California’s Compassionate Use Act. Vitality played no role in the treatment, according to a press release.

The boy was diagnosed at age 9 with Crohn’s disease and mild-to-moderate colitis, and was hospitalized on several occasions. He had a poor appetite, which led to weight loss and stunted growth, and failed to respond to conventional IBD treatments.

Although he did respond initially to the TNF-α inhibitor Remicade (infliximab), it failed to help after a few weeks. “Temporary symptomatic benefit was observed, but quickly dissipated,” the researchers reported.

His level of calprotectin — a sign of bowel disease in children — rose again despite treatment throughout 2015. Improvements in calprotectin level suggest disease-modifying activity as well as symptom relief, the researchers noted.

In February 2016, the boy started taking a combination of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) three times a day. The 3-mg doses of each therapy turned him around, researchers said.

“The patient and family reported almost immediate symptomatic improvement, with increased appetite and body weight, reduced inflammatory scores, and induction of remission,” the study reported.

Importantly, the combo treatment ended his Crohn’s after just a month, researchers said. The key evidence was that his calprotectin scores dropped from 2,000 μg/g to 86 μg/g.

A marker of inflammation known as the C-reactive protein level fell to zero, researchers added. Doctors began reducing his Remicade and ended it altogether in January 2017.

At that point, the patients was “in complete remission, with no Crohn’s disease symptoms, and has been in clinical remission for more than a year,” the team wrote.

Researchers said that to their knowledge it was the first case of fecal calprotectin levels correlating “well with the presence of endoscopic lesions” and with decreased calprotectin levels correlating “with healing of the gut mucosal lining in both Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Based on these findings, we expect that treatment of local gut inflammation with cannabinoids may not only resolve symptoms of IBD but also achieve disease modification by inducing and maintaining remission.”

The team plans to submit the report for publication, perhaps with additional case studies of the combo treatment.

1. Sookie hill says:

My husband has ulcerative colitis and is on steroids. Why is it that cannabidiols would not work in adults?Your study specified a teenager.

• Tim Bossie says:

We highlight a teenager just because that was the participant. Cannabidiols have been effective in treating adults as well.

• jvon says:

It does work in adults. I have a severe case of complex fistulzing crohn’s-colitis.

When I have properly prepared high CBD low THC cannabis oil, it puts me in remission and keeps me there. No other treatment has been as reliable and effective.

• John says:

I posted this basic reply to another poster but I’m interested in any information on your properly prepared oil ratio.

What’s your CBD to THC ratio and the amount you take per day?

I’ve read 3cbd to 1thc and you need at least 60mg of cbd a day.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. Wendy Turner says:

My son Coltyn Turner has been on cannabis for over three years for severe debilitating Crohn’s disease and has been in remission for the majority of that three years. He started in 2014 when he was just 14 years old. Cannabis works.

• Tim Bossie says:

Hi Wendy, that is great about your son. There is no question that cannabis, and its derivatives, can help many people with chronic illnesses.

• John says:

Do you know his ratio of thc to cbd and the amount he takes per day?

I’ve read 3cbd to 1thc and you need at least 60mg of cbd a day.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

3. Misha says:

I have crohn’s, am 48 years old, and am in full remission due to FECO cannabis oil, and diet change. In my case, it turned out that ingesting anything with corn, or any other grain besides rice triggered the auto immune reaction known as “Crohn’s disease”. This goes beyond foods. MEDICINES are made with corn byproducts as inert ingredients (Thank the corn lobbyists) If I avoid anything that triggers it, I am, as I stated, in FULL remission. Best recommendation I can give is look to the paleo diet for guidance, and use FECO when you get hit. It’s the only thing that stops the reaction, Literally, in hours.

• Danielle says:

I get oils online from Whitepalm. If you don’t have a medical marijuana card, there is a space to enter your illness and symptoms and they will even suggest products.
      I use the NU cbd oil that comes in a syringe. This cbd oil has a small amount of THC in it as well. It works great for me in reducing stress, better sleep, and less inflammation. Pain relief as well.