FDA Reports of Crohn’s Disease Treatment Side Effects Have Increased, Analysis Finds

Drugs used to treat Crohn’s disease and other autoimmune disorders are among those with the greatest number of reported side effects filed with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), according to a USA Today Network Exclusive analysis. The analysis found an increase of five times the number of side-effect reports to the FDA in

1. Pamela says:

Right, OK. So now that we have been informed once again of all the wonderful thongs that Humira could do to its users, what is your suggestion??? Do the benefits out weather Rick’s? YES OR NO? ANY DATA ON THIS, OR DO YOU JUST LIKE TO ALARM HELPLESS SICK PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF?

• Robin Throw says:

Yes I have been on humeria for 6 years and my crohns has been in remission for as long as I have been on it, mine acts differently the only way to tell if I am having a flare up is to do a colonoscopy and biopsies because the doctor can not see it and I do not have the regular symptoms, the only way the doctos found out was my colon collapsed and perforated. They have to ppst side effects it doesnt mean that it will happen, and in most cases in studies the people already have side effects before taking humeria or others but they have to report it and use it in study, trust me talk to your doctor’s and please do not say no until you get all the facts. This disease can kill you….

2. Craig says:

This is why I don’t want to come off of a low dose of steroid and take a biologic drug. My doctor said Prednisone is dangerous, but in my case I have had few side effects, none of which are harmful. Yet they want me on one of these instead. No thanks. I would rather take Prednisone until it no longer works for me.

• Cecilia says:

The long term side effects of steroids are quite bad though. I know of people that has been on it for a long time and they all got severe osteoperosis for one thing.

3. Linda Storm says:

I also have been insistent that my son not be treated with biologics… We opted to go the surgical route — best thing we ever did, but I had to fight for it.

• Eden Lachlan says:

Oh my goodness I can’t believe this. Surgery is the worst thing you can do to a patient with this disease. The majority of patients who had surgery either regret it, or say they were drastically under-informed about how complicated their lives would be following surgery. This is an AUTO-IMMUNE condition – there is nothing inherently wrong with an IBD patient’s digestive system. Removing the digestive system rarely solves the problem. Instead, the disease then progresses to elsewhere in the immune system – the surgery is terrible, often with life-long irreversible side effects – pouchitis, infections, much higher risks of infertility, obstructions, and much more. Mutilating your child is never the answer. They are on the brink of massive medical break-throughs with IBD. If a cure is developed in the next 5 or 10 years how will you explain to your child that you placed them in a situation that renders that obsolete to them? Biologics are, with a few exceptions, very safe. I was on massive doses of Remicade every 4 weeks for years – no side effects at all. My brother also was on a biologic. And for the record – my parents also consented to surgery on my behalf when I was 13 (for Ulcerative Colitis, which then turned into pouchitis, and then Crohn’s after surgery – which it often does) – and I STILL ended up on biologics. I don’t know many patients that are happy they had the surgery. Most feel lied to and betrayed by their doctors. I absolutely feel this way. I tell my parents on a very regular basis that what they did to me was barbaric and unforgivable and they completely destroyed my life. I believed it when I was 13, and I believe it now into my early thirties. They now agree that the surgery was a complete and utter mistake. I can’t believe you wouldn’t even give your child the choice to wait and make the decision themselves when they turned 18. That’s just insane.

4. Arnette Bowman says:

I was taking Humera but less than 6 months into the treatment my feet hurt so bad I literally could not walk due to nerve pain. I went to my nurologist and found out I have neuropathy. I will have this damage to my nerves for the rest of my life.

• Cheryl says:

My husband spent 10 years on remicade. He too has peripheral neuropathy. But NOTHING else helped him. He was in and out of the hospital, fed through a pic line, we are convinced he would not have survived. He went off maybe 2 years ago. He takes entocort now, it helps but not like remi did. But it is a steroid…since he is having pain they want to put him on Entyvio. It is a biologic but it does not cross the blood-brain barrier (less likely then to cause neuropathy). He hasn’t made the decision yet. But then…a battle with the insurance company…

5. Joy says:

I have Crohns and take NO meds at all, I sometimes consent to Budesomide steroid as it is gentler on the body, I read the side effects of the drugs used for Crohns, there is no cure so would rather take risks than subject my body to more destruction

6. Michelle says:

I developed Chronic Mylogenic Leukemia while taking Humira. The oral chemo to treat it costs over $13,000 a month. My insurance company rejected the reorder due to the high cost. This is terrifying!

7. Nicola Price says:

Anti-MAP treatment is an option that is becoming more widely used for Crohn’s. If / when humira stops working for you, it is worth having the discussion about the triple antibiotic therapy with your specialist.
    (See FAQ7 on Crohn’s MAP Vaccine website)

8. Jay says:

From a very concerned father:

My son is taking Humira for Hidradinitis Suppurativa.
    I have read that it can cause severe depression and even suicide. Anyone taking Humira experiencing severe depression and or suicide thoughts?

• Paula says:

I have never read that Humira causes depression or suicidal thoughts. I have been taking it over 3 years and am so happy for being in remission that I can’t even imagine being depressed. I was depressed when I was sick with Crohn’s and am over the moon to be in remission. No depression or suicidal thoughts here! Best wishes to your son!

9. NoDrgs says:

Check out other HARMLESS and really helpful alternatives guys, such as Apheresis therapy for blood, low dose 4.5mg Naltrexone, helmintic therapy, FMT (Fecal microbiota transplant), Shamanic medicine for Crohn’s disease etc. Some of them are being offered in Canada, Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Germany, South Korea, Australia.