Low Dose Naltrexone May Alleviate Crohn’s Disease Symptoms

Low Dose Naltrexone May Alleviate Crohn’s Disease Symptoms
For patients with incurable diseases such as Crohn’s disease, new treatments to help maintain symptom remission can provide hope for living a more comfortable life. One proposed treatment under investigation for Crohn’s disease is low dose naltrexone (LDN). Its use in treating Crohn’s disease remains controversial due to the small number of studies that have been conducted

1. M. says:

I was given LDN 4 years by a Rheumatologist who is aware of my history of Crohn’s and it’s attendant complications. I immediately came out of a flare — despite malnutrition issues left over from surgeries. I am not 100% normal, nor would I expect to be (surgical damage and 24 years of Crohn’s has changed me) but I am much better than I have ever been on any other med. I suffer no side effects and a few side benefits.

Diet is a key component to helping the LDN to help us. Sadly, while some find improvement even with the worst of a UC flare, many with Crohn’s only get some relief. (this may or may not be due to willingness to alter diet).

I sincerely hope that the studies will be done and soon! This is what we need to be yelling at our doctor’s about, pushing and pressing. Even without studies, that LDN is safe and offers no risk of serious life changing side effects that other meds to, it should be an option for us.

There is an IBD LDN group on facebook, and we welcome all interested in learning more about LDN.

2. Julie says:

LDN works for me! After over 30 yrs dealing w/ Crohn’s Disease, I had tried everything out there and had had 3 surgeries. Finally found true health and wellness w/ LDN!

3. Elisabeth Gibson says:

“May alleviate” Crohn’s Disease symptoms has become “does alleviate” Crohn’s Disease symptoms for my son. Before finding a specialist with the cahones to prescribe LDN, we were being pressured into starting a biologic that has a history of nasty and life-threatening side-effects. Now, my son takes LDN exclusively and is mostly symptom-free. A strong, healthy diet free of most sugars and grains is also part of his regimen. He’s gone from moderate-to-severe in disease classification, to remission.

4. Michele Esposito says:

LDN has saved my life and my colon. My last flare was so horrible that the choices were clinical trial or surgery to remove my colon. While waiting for the clinical trial to begin, my gastro prescribed LDN. It began working about 2-3 months after I started and by the 4th month there was no longer any crohns symptoms or bleeding. I’ve been on it now since October of last year and my disease is in total remission. My last Calprotectin showed no signs of inflammation.

5. Greg says:

I have proctitis with Hypothyroidism. Would it be possible to try LDN at an even lower dose and have the same benefits without going to the full 4.5 mg? Currently coming down from a flare.

• Judy says:

I have read in my research of this, that 1.5 is best to start with as your thyroid might spike and you would need to adjust your thyroid medicine as needed. Frequent blood work for your thyroid would be advised.

6. Josh says:

I have been diagnosed with severe complex fistulizing crohns colitis since 2011. The fistulas were tunneling though my body and, when flared, completely incapacitated me for months. I started on LDN about a year and half ago and after a period of adjustment to the drug, my fistulas subsided and I’ve had hardly activity on them since then.

I’ve avoided the use of steroids and biologics as a result. I use a combination of LDN, Pentasa, clean diet and heavy probiotic / fermented foods use – and this keeps me in 100% remission most of the time. Glad I found LDN – the drugs they are offering are dangerous.

7. Kat says:

I have severe proctitis and have been bleeding for seven years with meds barely keeping it in check. Three weeks after taking it the bleeding stopped and has not come back. I also now eat very little meat and try to follow a high starch diet based on Dr. Mac Dougal. I have recommended this drug as treatment to everyone I know who suffers from auto immune.