According to Crohn’s and Colitis UK, there are many symptoms of IBD that people may not be aware of. Most know that stomach pains and blood in the stool are signs that something could be wrong, but did you know the following signs could also point to inflammatory bowel disease?
1. Cankers (or mouth ulcers): Cankers can occur for many reasons, or for no reason at all. But those who struggle with IBD may regularly get mouth ulcers, particularly during flare ups. The cankers can vary in size and last up to 10 days. They are generally quite painful during the first few days.
2. Strictures: A stricture is a narrowing of the intestines or bowel caused by inflammation that is followed by healing which causes scar tissue. This can lead to abdominal pain, bloating, and in severe cases, obstructions.
3. Fistulas: Fistulas are hollow tubes of tissue that can connect different parts of the intestines, two organs together, or an organ to the outside of the body. They are formed following intestinal perforations. Fistulas are more common in people with Crohn’s.
4. Joint pain: Joint pain, or arthritis, is a common complaint among IBD patients. The joints usually affected are the knees, ankles, elbows, and wrists.
5. Eye inflammation: Uveitis, an inflammation of the middle eye, is associated with inflammatory bowel disease. If left untreated it can lead to blindness. A more common eye complaint for IBD patients is episcleritis, which causes redness of the whites of the eyes and pain. Both complaints can be cleared up with steroid eye drops.
IBD News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?