Marvel Custom Solutions has partnered with Seb Tucknott, the founder of the online platform IBDRelief and pharmaceutical company Takeda, to create a new team of superheroes who all have one thing in common: inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
According to a report on metro.co.uk, the Unbeatables are all affected by either Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, along with an estimated one in 250 Britons. While fighting crime and protecting people around the world, the Unbeatables also pause to consider how their superhero actions may affect their IBD, including the impact of stress.
The team is made up of five characters:
- Luminaria, a nurse who specializes in soothing and healing those with IBD and helping the public to overcome panic.
- Datawave, whose special power is the ability to access information on the Internet using just her mind. This has come in useful following her recent diagnosis of ulcerative colitis.
- Rubblerouser can tear up concrete and bend metal, he has an older brother who suffers from Crohn’s disease.
- Samarium has extraordinary strength despite suffering from ulcerative colitis.
- Switchback has the ability to duplicate himself so he can be in two places at the same time. He has been living with Crohn’s disease for many years.
Marvel has created a full graphic novel featuring the adventures of the Unbeatables to raise awareness of IBD. The first chapter was revealed at London’s Comic Con to more than 100,000 Marvel fans. The cover of the novel was created by Marvel’s Kirbi Fagan, an illustrator who also lives with Crohn’s disease.
IBD News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.