Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis May Continue Even After Mucosal Healing

Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis May Continue Even After Mucosal Healing
Researchers at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai found that up to one-third of patients with ulcerative colitis who achieve mucosal healing still experience increased stool frequency, and suggest that its underlying cause could be long-term damage to the colon, not histological activity. The study, “Discrepancies between patient-reported outcomes, and endoscopic and histological appearance in UC,” was recently published in Gut. Ulcerative colitis (UC)

1. Anna says:

I am in an endoscopic remission and because there is no bleeding, doctors tell me I also have IBS and they give me drugs to cure IBS. The drugs do absolutelly nothing.
    I feel like I’m banging my head against the wall:(

• Curtis says:

It’s not ideal by any stretch but I was diagnosed and in surgery within 48 hours of my trip to the hospital, prior to that, I had no idea what UC was. I had my entire colon removed and lived with an ostomy for 2 years before finally having the reversal surgery. The downside is still frequent trips to the washroom but I’m cured from the disease, no pain, no special diet and no medication! I’m not suggesting this option but maybe worth discussing.

2. Josh says:

Research shows that targeted binding as with IgG in prescription medical food such as EnteraGam can manage these symptoms while restoring the right junctions and restoring the gut to homeostasis.

3. Genny D says:

This describes what I’ve been going through for the last three years. 11 years with bloody ulcers then next to perfect healing but tremendous joint pain and diahreah. Finally got approved for biologics, but is what this saying mean it won’t help bc I’ve permanently damaged my colon?

• Tim Bossie says:

The article says that it may continue, but it is not a definite. As always consult with your doctor before making any type of decisions.

4. Charmaine McLeod says:

I was just recently diagnosed with Collagenous Colitis, or Microscopic Colitis. It does not show up in either Colonoscopy or Endiscopy but only through biopsy. I had watery diarrhea for 25 days between 5-25 times a day. No blood in stool. My Dr knew I was so sick and just felt it essential to do the biopsy and then discovered the Collagenous Colitis. I am now on the mend, but I’ve lost 17 lbs and am still weak and tire easily. Can’t find much info on this type of Colitis….it is rare